black image
msoy :  black content for black people : site map

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

The Key to Keywords

For a long time I thought I understoond how to integrate Keywords into my site design only to find out that I didn't have a clue! MY SEO (search engine optimization) skills were put to the test when I decided to ad google adsense content to my site. Adsense always you to generate site revenue by included relevant ads onto your site. Its a great concept, but if you don't take the time to figure out your keywords, you will end up with a bunch of random ads on your site that no one will click on, which is what happened to me.

I unproductiviely used adsense for a few months. I simply didn't understand how you tell the adsense tool, what your keywords were. Initially I assumed there was alittle textbox on your account that you simply plugged your keywords into, but google has far more sophisticated technology than that. Once I started actually READING about the adsense program, (now understanding that doing your research can help to triple your progress) I came to learn that the adsence program scans your site for frequently used buzz words (keywords) and displays ads that reflect those terms. But if you uses words that are simply not common among advertisers, google adsense is still going to generate generic advertisements, so when developing keywords they must be popular among online users and advertisers.

Once I learned the adsense basics, I figured I was one the right track with keywords like "African American" on my site. And yet someone my assumption did not match with google's ad selections. Upon printing and reviewing my pages, I came to some starteling relevations. The biggest was that I was using keywords at all! I assumed I was because my site was all about African American content, but once I reviewed each page excluding images and iframes I came to see that my actually text was limited and lacked any real keywords at all. No words, not even "African American" were consecutively used on my pages, which meant that google was picking up any catch phrases from my content.

After my shocking revelation, I started spending more time on the textual components of both my sites and blogs, AND I was became aware of how often I used a particular term and how relevant that term was to my content. Like I said google adsense is a sophisticated tool if you try to plug in irrelevant keywords or saturate your site with keywords google with figure it out and you will be penalized. Those google designers are smart!

Today my keywords are on point and my clicks are too! Of course my web traffic could always be better, but I'm working on it. There are actually a bunch of keyword tips and tricks that even I haven't figured out yet. You just have to see what works for your site and do RESEARCH! There is a ton of information online, so design and read @ the same time.









Black Bloggin, Black Buzz News, Black Online Entreprenuers, Sista Web, Mo Funnies, multiple shades of you online © LaShanda Henry 2005-2006 | lhenry@msoyonline.com
 


STEAL THESE